Pages

Sunday 19 February 2012

Look left …..and imagine

040

AFTER three or four visits, I think this is as good as it’s going to get of the remains of St Bartholomew’s Church in Heigham. I find this graveyard-turned-into-a-park a melancholy kinda place. But that’s never quite been converted into a half-decent photo until today. The secret – which in retrospect was obvious – is to frame the tower so that you can see the absence of the church. Even if that means you get a fairly average semi bang in the middle of the viewfinder. You’ve got to help the reader imagine what was to the left of the shot before 29th April 1942. Playing with the sun like that is, I guess, a bit of a cliche, but there’s little alternative when you’re filming early in the morning. Perhaps I’ll give it one more go on a summer’s evening before I finally call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment